3.03.2014

It all started with the Cocorico Bee : )

[Featherweight Sewing Machine Pattern and Fabric Audition]

About three years ago the lovely Melinda and Lauree invited me to join the Cocorico Paper Piecing Bee on Flickr.  Melinda knew me from the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along on Flickr where I first discovered my love of quilting.  I have made friendships and so admire the talent of the lovely ladies in the bee.
Up until that point I was just starting to do a bit of paper piecing.  I designed a teapot and tea cup but this bee really challenged my skills.

[A few of my Cocorico Bee Blocks]

I designed many blocks for the bee and 
about six months into joining I created the first paper piecing pattern for my Etsy shop.

Over the past few years I have done design work for magazines and books - projects including small quilted and fabric items as well as clothes.  As much as I like this work I have missed designing paper pieced patterns, and other items for my shops, and have really neglected the dream of expanding my small business.  
I have so many ideas, sketches and designs that are so close to being finished...........
[2013 paper piecing patterns]

I did a little recap of my work last year and realized I had designed more than a dozen projects for magazines and only six patterns of my own : (  
Don't get me wrong, I really do love designing but after seeing the numbers I realized it was time to focus more on my vision and my business.

We have resumed the Cocorico Bee and I am so excited to be making a Singer Featherweight sewing machine block for Erin.  You see....I have had the block designed for almost a year (yes, I swear it has been complete for a year!  uggg)  but I put it on the shelf in lieu of the editorial design work.  But no more!!!!
I am so incredibly excited to get back to my passion - designing quilting patterns and clothing and sewing with the talented group of women in the Cocorico Bee!

xo
Charise




7 comments:

  1. Good for you! Your work is gorgeous!!! So stylish and sophisticated!!!
    I know how much time designing a paper piecing pattern takes as I design them myself too.
    Bye bye
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she is a very lucky girl! It's amazing! You could write a book hun!.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patterns are always charming so if you're planning on more I'd say hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern! When will it be available?
    I also can't wait for your blouse pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you do it (the beautiful paper piecing above), but you have inspired me to try! I am only a beginner and have been a little shy to join a Quilt Bee or guild... but I would love to learn more quilting techniques. Your work is beautiful. So glad to hear the patterns will be available soon! Keep doing what you love :)
    Btw, this comment took me forever to post! I was asked multiple questions four times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love your designs ~ the Featherweight is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this becomes a pattern for sale in your shop. I would love to hang it over my Featherweight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!